Our team of board members and volunteers work diligently to raise funds and pack staple food items, that require little to no preparation, to go home with students on Fridays and over holidays. This ensures that they are fed and ready to learn when they return to school on Monday morning. We partner with Sysco Foods to obtain many of these pre-packaged items. Our food cost is currently $2.87 per week, per student bringing the cost of feeding one child for the 40 week school year to $115 per student. We expanded our program this year to include 6th grade and anticipate continued growth with the rising cost of living. As we see that more families show a need with the rising cost of living, we are working to come up with fresh ideas to fundraise and serve these families.
If you have ideas about how to make Floyd County a hunger-free zone for kids or wish to volunteer, we would love your help!
Can you help with one or more of our Action Committees? If so, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org about joining our Advisory Board team!
Sponsorship and Grants Committee
- Prepare and submit grants to foundations and businesses
- Develop initiatives to attract corporate and individual sponsors
- Send thank you notes to donors
- Keep major donors informed about yearly plans and goals
- Work to increase number of people who sign up to donate to BIAB with Kroger Community Rewards program
- Work with local restaurants to establish spirit nights
Events and Community Engagement Committee
- Plan, organize and execute fundraising events in the community, including Pigs 4 Kids and Hoops for Hunger or other new fundraising events.
- Assist in helping promote BIAB’s mission through partnership with the Education Foundation at the Annual Gala.
- Make presentations to community groups and other local leaders to promote BIAB and seek their support
- Serve as a point of contact and assist outside groups in the community seeking to create their own fundraisers for BIAB
- Coordinate booths/tables to pass out info and talk to people about BIAB’s mission at local events (i.e. school sports, theatre productions, craft fairs, etc.)
- Create any documents or informational handouts for distribution to community
- Prepare annual report for chapter
- Publish email updates/newsletters
- Manage chapter’s website
- Promote chapter through use of social media campaigns
- Engage in other methods of advertising, either direct mail, radio, video
- Be a point of contact and coordinate with schools to help develop their fundraisers in support of BIAB
- Coordinate with PTOs to ask for assistance with distribution of information re BIAB’s mission and needs
Student Board Member:
Calling all Floyd County high schoolers! Looking to make a difference in your community? Want to gain valuable experience in fundraising, communications, or managing a project? Join our team fighting childhood hunger as a student board member of Blessings in a Backpack Floyd County. We meet once a month and are looking for engaged and motivated student members to spread our message to their schools and the wider community. For more information, check out https://biabfloyd.com/volunteer/ or contact us at email@example.com.
Not ready to commit to the Advisory Board but still looking to help? You Can:
- Volunteer to pack backpacks at one of our 10 elementary schools? Click here for the Packing Schedule and Coordinator List.
- Sign-up for Kroger Community Rewards. Click here. Sign in to your account and click on Community, then Community Rewards. Our Organizational number is RW735.
- Connect us to a business, church or individual who would be interested in contributing to our food costs, either by donating a fixed amount, sponsoring a particular number of kids or even sponsoring a whole school?
- Organize a fundraiser for Blessings, either individually or as a sponsor of a team, club or other organization?
- Suggest a community event that Blessings could attend with an information booth to share about our mission and funding needs?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to volunteer!